Id be tempted to ask Chris why he is asking the question, because if you are
trying to get an idea as to how long it takes to get a GWT/GAE application
up and running, its entirely dependent on how complex you are planning to
make your application.

As a slight benchmark, I knew nothing about how to write a web application
at the end of July last year and very little about how to program in java
(although I have dabbled, and have done a fair bit of C and VB programming
in the past). I started watching some of the videos from google IO 2009 back
in August, started coding in "anger" at the beginning of September and went
live with my first beta at a customer side with my application on November
1st. That customer is still using the system, we have 7 other beta testers
now, and we are just on the verge of going properly live any day now.... so
thats from NOTHING to live in less than 6 months!