1) Yes, GWT apps have access to URL request parameters.  Look at
Window.Location.getParameter().

2) You probably need to make a conceptual shift.  Think of GWT apps
just like any other fat client application - some code (and optionally
some data) gets downloaded to the user when the page is loaded, then
the app is "on its own" to authenticate against the backend and get
data from it.  Of course, since it's all HTTP, you can just use
cookies to maintain session state like you're probably already doing.

Jeff