I know in IE8 there is a security setting that can be turned off to
remove this "feature" as they would probably call it.  Unfortunately
that will require all of your users to make sure they turn this
setting off.

What I have done to get around this is to return the URL to the user
and place it in a DialogBox in an anchor allowing the user to click it
and the browser will download it as expected.

This is unfortunately a nuance for your users but its better than the
download being blocked.

Hope that helps,
Pat