Oh yeah you're right. GWT development mode just simply scans the war
folder for anything ending in .html and then offers those options to
you "for your convenience". So 2 things to say here,
1. you are not limited to these URLs, you can type anything in your
browser
2. GWT plugin just isn't seeing your .xhtml file, doesn't mean it's
not there.
However, to make everyone happy I'd recommend you change your .xhtml
back to .html and then fix up the doctype to be XHTML. Honestly,
that's all that counts, not the file extension. In fact try this:
1. run your app
2. right click and view source
3. copy your (x)html source code
4. visit http://validator.w3.org and click the Validate by Direct
Input tab
5. paste your source code into there and click validate.
If you have provided valid xhtml code it will detect that and tell
you.

Paul S