Hi everyone,

Last month, I announced some of the changes we had planned for the 1.3
version of the Google Plugin for Eclipse. To recap, this release is focused
on making life easier for developers using GWT/App Engine alongside
third-party tools, including Maven and Eclipse for Java EE. In my post, I
promised we'd let you download a preview of 1.3 to get some hands-on testing
of the new features and provide us with your feedback before the official
release.

I'm happy to announce that the time has come. An early preview of 1.3 is now
available for download at the following URLs:

http://dl.google.com/eclipse/plugin/3.5/zips/com.google.gdt.eclipse.suite.e35.feature_1.2.101.v201003031407.zip

http://dl.google.com/eclipse/plugin/3.4/zips/com.google.gdt.eclipse.suite.e34.feature_1.2.101.v201003031407.zip

http://dl.google.com/eclipse/plugin/3.3/zips/com.google.gdt.eclipse.suite.e33.feature_1.2.101.v201003031407.zip

Note: Ensure that your version of Eclipse has Eclipse's Web Standard Tools
(WST) installed before installing the plugin. WST can be installed by
navigating to the Software Installation section, and selecting the the
appropriate WST feature from the update site for your version of Eclipse.
The update sites and feature names are provided below:

   - 3.5 (Galileo): Galileo > Web, XML, and Java EE Development > Eclipse
   Web Developer Tools
   - 3.4 (Ganymede): Ganymede Update Site > Web and Java EE Development >
   Web Developer Tools
   - 3.3 (Europa): Europa Discovery Site > Web and JEE Development > Web
   Standard Tools Project

This is a preview build, so the usual caveats and warnings apply: it is not
officially supported, and we recommend using a clean installation of Eclipse
and a new workspace. Also, we're distributing this preview as a zip file so
be sure to follow the instructions on our Installing the Google Plugin for
Eclipse from zip files page (
http://code.google.com/eclipse/docs/install-from-zip.html).

*Known Issues*

   - If you change launch configuration settings in the Server or GWT tab,
   you'll need to switch to the Arguments tab before clicking Apply or
   Run/Debug.  This will be fixed in the final release.

That being said, we are very interested in your experience with this new
release, which we hope will allow the Google plugin to interoperate much
better with alternative project structures and third-party tools. The
tentative 1.3 release notes are as follows:

Enhancements

   - Configurable WAR directory to allow better integration with Eclipse for
   Java EE <http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/moreinfo/jee.php> and projects
   built with Maven <http://maven.apache.org/>
   - Web Application launch configurations now display and allow editing of
   generated Program and VM arguments
   - Errors/Warnings preference page for customizing the severity of any
   generated problem marker
   - Projects can reference GWT/App Engine SDKs directly via JARs instead of
   through SDK library
   - GWT+App Engine projects automatically configured for optimal caching

Fixes

   - GWT Issue
3583<http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3583>:
   Google Eclipse Plugin configuration is too strict
   - GWT Issue
3592<http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3592>:
   Eclipse plugin to add 'cache forever' configuration for new 'GWT + App
   Engine' projects
   - GWT Issue
3902<http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3902>:
   Allow users to configure the severity of problems reported by the eclipse
   plugin
   - App Engine Issue
1515<http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1515>:
   Eclipse plugin requires fixed location for war directory
   - App Engine Issue
2115<http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2115>:
   Using the @PersistenceAware annotation puts the Eclipse Enhancer in an
   Infinite Loop