I recently wrote a modal working mask (for use during RPC calls) that
blocks input to all controls and slowly fades in an animated working
message in the middle of the screen. This is implemented in a very
similar way to the glass panel used by PopupPanel using an absolutely
positioned div with opacity set so the widgets underneath show
through.

In hosted mode this worked great even when displayed over the top of
layoutPanel based screens. However, when I compiled my app and ran it
natively, the screen would go blank as soon as the mask was removed.
If I resized the window everything would appear again. This led me to
think it had something to do with the RootLayoutPanel. When I debugged
the native JS, I could see as soon as I removed the mask div from the
document body, the RootLayoutPanel (the div with a zindex of -32767)
would pop to the front for no reason.

I was thinking it was a rendering issue caused by changing the dom
structure at the same level as the RootLayoutPanel so I changed my
code to insert the mask div into the RootLayoutPanel and now
everything works fine.

I think the PopupPanel and DialogBox issues people are having could be
related to my problem. The glassPanel is added to the document body
and even the DialogBox is added there. Adding and removing elements to
the document body while the RootLayoutPanel exists seems to cause
strange unpredictable rendering issues.

Anybody from the GWT team got any thoughts on this?