Brian,

You're correct that your WEB-INF/lib should only require one
gwt-servlet.jar.  The others (gwt-user, gwt-soyc-vis) are only used at
compile-time, so there's no need to deploy them with your WAR file.

Also, using Tomcat with -noserver seems like the right approach to me.  It
certainly should be easier than trying to rig the embedded Jetty instance to
do what you want.

Keith