I think the best way to do this is to deploy new instance of client
application for every customer and have one instance of "server"
application that all client applications work with to get their data,
non-client-side business logic, etc.

We're doing it this way when we have different versions of client
application, which tends to change more often than server one. Also
works when you have a development version of client that you need to
test with the same server backend.

Regards,
Uros