well, i created my own serialization policy facade that does whitelist
the unmodifiable collection classes, but then i failed to create a
custom serializer since for that i would need to create a class called
java.util.Collections overwriting the one of the JVM which  i feel is
not the best idea...
so i think i need to patch a bit the
SerializabilityUtil#hasCustomFieldSerializer method... which does not
look to be much work...

and then i would be able to serialize unmodifiable collections :)
at least from the server to the client, because on the client side the
serialization policy seems to be hard wired during compilation time...
(any idea on how to whitelist something on the client?)
but actually i only care of that direction... ;)

all this would be just a piece of cake with this fixed:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=4843

i will keep you informed on my progress
Michael