Hi there,

You are mixing a VerticalPanel (older panel type, uses <table>s for
layout) and the TabLayoutPanel, which is newer (GWT2.0) and relies on

In general, you shouldn't mix the two types of Panels.

> but the result is awful, even when I tried some styling - I can't make
> the tabbed layout "fit" into the vertical panel. Also, the styling
> itself seems a little "stubborn", it's really difficult change the
> outlook of the tabs, they keep place one above the another instead of
> placing in line.

Hmm. Using the *LayoutPanels requires:

1. standards mode <!DOCTYPE> in the host html page.
2. attaching the panel to the RootLayoutPanel rather than RootPanel.

The fact that the tabs stack on top of each other probably means that
you are not using Standards mode correctly[1].

The *LayoutPanels were introduced in GWT 2.0. They use <div>s instead
of <table>s to create layout. Refer to the UI docs[2] for more
details.

[1] http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideUiPanels.html#Standards
[2]
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideUiPanels.html#LayoutPanels

Good luck. I re-read the DevGuideUiPanels several times before I
figured out the gotchas above (I'm a bit dense).

Cheers, Phil