I always use Checkstyle in my projects. I don't believe in the true
sense of http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_design.html#VisibilityModifier
so I always allow protected and package-private. The only problem I
really run into is when I have really long method signatures in my
JSNI and it triggers my line length check.

Also, I am not sure I agree with leaving off generics on collections
or anything else that's used for GWT RPC serialization (if that's what
you meant). Type erasure should make it irrelevant.