To clarify, are you getting to your 'onSuccess()' of your callback?
It could be the case that GWT can't deserialize the objects and there
isn't much you can do about it except grab your data in smaller
chunks.  The deRpc may help but it has it's own issues, large payloads
in FireFox throw an exception saying it couldn't evaluate the payload.

If you are successfully getting your data and causing that error in
your code, such as looping over that large collection creating a
table, you will want to investigate IncrementalCommand as you suspect.