Has anyone happened to rewrite ELabel using mapitz or googlemaps api
and extending GOverlay?
(ELabel - http://econym.org.uk/gmap/elabel.htm)

I'm having trouble figuring out how to start.  It seems like the
ELabel.js file should be able to be ported.  But I'm having trouble
figuring out the best way to do it.

I tried using native javascript to add an ELabel to the map, but it
fails on the map.addOverlay without any message.  At least I am
assuming it fails, because I have an alert after the addOverlay and it
never fires.  I'm passing to the native function the mapitz JSObject
(all the alerts work and have objects in them except the last)

public static native JavaScriptObject drawLabel (JSObject map, double
lat, double lon, text)
/*-{
var label = new ELabel(new GLatLng(lat,lon), "TESTING", "mystyle");
alert(label);
alert(map);
map.addOverlay(label);
alert("added");