I'm having a similar issue.  I have widgets added to elements using
RootLayout.get("foo").add(widget) but then want to add a Panel on top
using RootLayoutPanel.get().add(layout).  that's all fine, but
removign the LayoutPanel leaves somethign behind that means the
widgets on the page cannot be clicked.  Looking at the generated there
is an extra div left behind.  Is this a bug or am I missing
something?  I'm not keen on raiseing a bug if this is simply a case of
me missunderstanding something.

Cheers
Kerr