We started using the trunk because of the refactoring that's been done
to SuggestBox. I considered copying it out and doing my own
refactoring but ran into the same dependency issues.

If you are able to use the trunk with the refactored SuggestBox, you
find that you can do the following:

public class CustomSuggestBox extends SuggestBox {

  public static final class CustomSuggestionDisplay extends
DefaultSuggestionDisplay

    @Override
    protected Widget decorateSuggestionList(Widget suggestionList) {
      // wrap it here

  public CustomSuggestBox(Oracle oracle) {
    super(oracle, new TextBox(), new CustomSuggestionDisplay());

If you don't feel comfortable using the trunk (I don't blame you), at
least you know that you'll eventually be able to do this.

I can't say for sure that adding a ScrollPanel in there will work. We
added a header and a footer to the dropdown and it worked well.