My issue kind of crosses GWT and GAE/J, but I'm thinking it's more of
an issue in GWT (most likely an issue with my understanding/missing
something important).

I developed a GAE/J application that was inserting successfully into
my local google datastore.  Was also retrieving records fine.  When I
included GWT functionality in the application, my transactions don't
seem to be persisting.  A sample of a servlet that's being called by a
push button event:

Categories cat = new Categories(user.getNickname(), account,
categoryName);
System.out.println("user=" + cat.getUserName());
System.out.println("account=" + cat.getAccount());
System.out.println("categoryName=" + cat.getCategoryName());
pm.makePersistent(cat);
System.out.println("record got inserted");

I've run this several times, yet data isn't persisting.  I know this
cause I query later in the program and no records are returned.

Any advice on things I could check out?