I've recently began using a javascript library that is based on
(requires) jquery so I'll be needing to write a lot more JSNI than I
have in the past.

I've actually got jquery working with jsni without too much trouble,
but now I'm having problems with data types.

I struggled quite a bit getting a data structure passed into a JSNI
method, i.e., a list of String.  The only thing I could get to work
was to write a JSNI method to create an array and return it as a
JavaScriptObject (e.g, return []), then write another JSNI method to
put something in the array (e.g, jso.push(string)), and then finally
pass this built-up array into the expected JSNI method (with the
jquery I need).

Is this the only way to do it?  It seems this could be easier if the
JsArrayString (and others similar) could be instantiated in Java, and
then usable in the JSNI, but that isn't possible.  Am I missing
something?