A solution (kind of the third option you mentioned, but you don't have
to hide the map completely unless you want to move the dialog around--
on top of the map) is to use a "shimmer". Read it in this old thread,
I use this method to get around this limitation with a Java applet:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/thread/134c8a5d2fc5b71b/f6e245ecab6192f5?lnk=gst&q=shimmer#f6e245ecab6192f5