Use emulateIE7 in your html page. I personally had limited luck with
this.
Another work around is: frames.
If your underlying layout is in smartgwt, load your canvas piece as
different module html in a frame and vice versa.

Both are really bad options, however smartgwt and gwt2 mix and match
does not really work well!

Rakesh Wagh