Hi Alan-

The short answer is yes, you can use tomcat (stand-alone) instead of
jetty (gwt embedded).  The simple solution is to just add "-noserver"
to your devmode launcher.

You can also modify the eclipse lauch config file to do this same and
then you have integrated debugging.  You might have to fiddle with the
URLs a bit so it gets that special request parameter that the browsers
need to load the GWT plug-in.

You can also run tomcat from eclipse and have server side debugging as
well.

I have a *old* gwt project (probably 3 years now) and I just recently
set it up to do eclipse debugging, and it was worth the effort.  It
isn't hard, just not very well documented.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions (although I'll
probably be slow to reply, bad time for me right now).