You don't have to do any conversion unless you can't change the
encoding of your file.  With GWT, I only have been able to display
these characters correctly using utf-8 (as specified in the GWT i18n
documentation).  Even if your characters look OK in whatever software
program you're looking at, if the file is not encoded in utf-8, most
likely it won't display correctly within a GWT app.