Sorry, I don't have my development environment here, so I don't
remember the exact details, but...

You must run BOTH the Tomcat server and the GWT application in
development mode. The trick is to configure the GWT application so it
doesn't run the built in server, and use the Tomcat server instead.
When run this way, the first time you launch the GWT application it
will ask for the place where the web application is, you must point it
to the Tomcat webapp directory used by Eclipse. This way you're also
able to debug simultaneously the GWT and the JavaEE code. We've got
such an environment, integrated with Maven.

Sorry for giving such a few details... I guess I'll end up writing and
publishing a how to about this...

HTH, best regards
José