Hello,
I have completed a GWT / Hibernate / gilead / mysql project. It was my
first, the whole process was a large pain but mostly worth it still
compared to DIY.

My newer project is based on GWT / Oracle DB Java edition an object
based db. It has been too easy so far... no translators, just one or
two non intrusive annotations on my Entities and persistent classes.
Plus it can outperform SQL in a lot of aspects.  Only thing that sucks
is reporting.  Sql is much easier/robost for reporting solutions.
Other than that, unless you were making a large shared database that
has to be separate from the app, I would go without SQL.