I figured out the issue to my own problem and I am posting the
solution for posterity's benefit. This might save somebody a few hours
of frustration.

I had earlier failed to specify the fully qualified module name:

For instance, under program arguments in Eclipse:

I initially specified this:
-war "C:\Documents and Settings\Seshadrj\workspace\GIDM\war" GIDM

When I changed it to the package qualified module name(shown below),
it started working fine.
-war "C:\Documents and Settings\Seshadrj\workspace\GIDM\war"
whi.idm.GIDM