I don't know if I like this whole Data View pattern the it's used in
the above examples.
I think the view and data should be separated, as such that the widget
should not contain a Generic that is indicating the contained data
object.
I thinks you should use something like a a ListViewer with Crud and
sort actions and the ListViewer will contain a display element (a
wrapped Table for example) that is used to sync the display and data.
This is a very short description, but this is a bit how I use it and
it works nice, and I have used it for long now in complex situations.
This pattern isn't GWT specific and can also be used in any GUI
framework. It's the display element that is GWT specific.
Another note: be careful using data providers like "give me data of
row,colum 1,2" as the question is: " what will you return? a widget/
text/HTML ?... (I used that in the past)..
Better is to use a more flexible push solution: pass in a Editor,
something like a Row/Table editor and use that in a specific
DataEditor class to set the data. The data editor can then choose to
set a widget/text/html snippet which might be different for very
cell...

Just a few thoughts that popped up... Maybe people can use it...
I would love to give more insight if I every get the time :(.... (my
problem always :()