Technically, the "proper" way according to the specs is to not utilize
background threads.  Of course, since nobody actually obeys that
proclamation, use a ServletContextListener to start your Thread when
the servlet context is started and stop the thread when the context is
being destroyed.  In general, that's the proper way to do any init /
teardown work in a web application.