I don't know anything about the Itemscript libraries that bill posted
about, but I took a quick glance and it looks worthwhile
investigating. Personally, I suspect that GWT-RPC does not have more
bandwidth overhead but there would be a tad bit more processing
overhead on both the client and server, so sticking with GWT-XML/JSON
is the most lightweight, however I think your design and
implementation for this is the most critical.

I have three major suggestions.

First, IF the data is not dependent on later rows and you merely want
to display the data or make calculations for individual rows or
certain groups then I highly suggest you break it up into numerous
async calls for the data. Get the first 100 rows and then the next
100, continuously. If you can't use any of the data until it's all
there... well it might still be worth breaking it up because an async
call can fail or be interrupted partway through... if the 100th call
fails for some obscure reason you can just repeat the call
indefinitely to continue... thus you won't have lost the first 99
calls of data.

Second, I seriously suggest using compression if the data is mostly
text. It's not hard at all to write a good lossless compression
program using Huffman coding in any language... I'm sure it would be
possible to do it in JavaScript (or GWT) and I'm sure the code would
not be large. I wrote a simple Huffman compression app a couple years
ago in University, it was easy and small. Then you can compress the
data on the server, send it and uncompress it on the client. That
would be awesome! Text can be compressed anywhere from 30%-60%+. That
will directly translate into speed!

Third, whatever you do, don't be sending any kind of html, css or
other UI bits along with that data! (This is assuming you are
displaying some of the contents of the database) You can use logic to
build the UI instead of repeatedly sending data that is surrounded
with html tags.

Goodluck!