Be sure to check your html-element in some inspecting tool: Development
Tools in Chrome, Firebug in FF. You might find out that your style-rule
("color: red;") gets applied but then gets overridden. (Meaning the element
actually bears the class-name you added to it.) In that case you would see
the rule listed but struckthrough: "color: red;".

If that is the case, you might still fix it without redefining standard.css.
You can raise importance of your style-rule by addind "!important": "color:
red !important;" or by writing more complex selector. Rules defined with
selector "table tr td" have greater weight than those written with "td".