Not sure if you meant to write just to me or reply to the list, but
I'll forward this on to everyone.

Shortly after I wrote that post it was discussed on the Contributors
list that there was indeed a fundamental issue preventing the xs
linker from working with code splitting, but that a patch was in the
works. The fix landed on trunk in March

http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/dev/core/src/com/google/gwt/core/linker/XSLinker.java?spec=svn8358&r=7806

but I'm not sure if that made it into 2.0.4 (or whatever) or if it
will be released with 2.1.