Hi Sven (hi again;-),

I did not encounter such a situation, yet. However, to my knowledge
IE8 has an limit on data-url of 32KB which are used by GWT
(url(data:...)).
Probably one gif is smaller than the limit but the other is NOT.

When this is the real cause, it is in the end a bug of GWT not to
change the strategy at the right limit.
So increasing (or reducing if you have an idea) the size of the image
may help. (Does it works with the original .png?)

For debugging just compile with "output style: detailed". This gives
you an idea of the position in your java code.

Stefan Bachert
http://gwtworld.de