On 07/11/2010 11:17 AM, Roope wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm currently developing some bioinformatics tools and I want to make
> them as web apps.
>
> The thing is that user needs to input files that might be up to 4Gb
> but usually the biggest is just about 250Mb.
>
> There are two main use-cases:
> 1. Steaming the file and taking just some small parts of it to string
> 2. Reading the whole file and making object from each line in file
>
> I would like to do all the file processing in client side, but I
> understood that it is not yet possible using gwt?

In general the answer is yes, but not because of GWT. Until wide-spread
browser support of HTML 5 which will provide better local file handling.

> If I keep the server local it is feasible to upload some 250mb files
> and process them at the server side, but I have no success so far in
> this, even with 10mb file.

You might provide some background on the "... no success so far..." path.

For files of this size, I'd consider creating a file share on the server
or using FTP. I'm guessing the data collection occurs on the PC? If so,
you won't be able to process the files locally until HTML 5 and local
file support. Depending on your environment, you might be able to
remote-mount a disk device and write directly to that device from the
data collection source.

> So what would you suggest me to do? Besides dumping the web
> application idea and making some java applet.

You want to move the data to the server, construct a server app that
retrieves data slices on demand and sends them to the client for
rendering. You can certainly do the Java app on the server to
retrieve/preprocess the data, then render it on the client using various
graphing packages. Search this list for pointers to SVG, or graphing
libraries.