Thanks,
I'll go for the cache-control public solution that you suggest such
that the users can be confident about the confidentiality.
I've tested with FF3 and IE7. These browsers seem to persistently
cache the js when cache-control public is set on the reply headers.
I don't know about Chrome. Speedtracer shows "From cache :false" but I
do find the components in the cache.
I don't know how the mobile browser handle it, but the js files are
probably too big anyway to be cached.

Danny