If you parse the XML string into run-time Java calls. That's not
unreasonable. Create some widgets ahead of time that correspond to your
custom XML elements, then tailor the widgets based on the XML element
content or attribute values.

The translation of the GWT ui XML occurs at compile-time, not run-time.