Brand new GWT developer here -- tasked with implementing a thin client
that will replace a rich client .NET program that used to make use of
this dockable window library:

http://www.divelements.com/net/controls/sanddock/screenshots.aspx

I'm currently struggling with the layout of the main window.  It is
fairly standard with a nearly static header at the top, fixed height
status pane at the bottom, hideable navigation window to the left
(west) and a master/detail form in the middle, and hideable help pane
to the right (east).  After some investigation and coding, it looks
like SplitLayoutPanel may be what I need, but I have questions:

1) How do I make it so that it properly reacts to window resize
events?  Do I have to code this myself? Is there a better way?

2) Can I get rid of the splitters below the header and above the
status bar.  If this is not possible, should I just use a
VerticlePanel and put the SplitLayoutPanel in the middle?

3) How do I make it so that the "master" pane can be dragged and
dropped below the "navigation" pane.  This is an important capability
for users because it allows them to maximize the detail area while
keeping the "master" items visible.

4) What kind of pane should I use for the hidable panes?  How do I
animate the showing/hiding?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.  Thanks for any help!