Thanks Rob,
The problem was because I wasn't encoding the URL, Now when I think
about it, it is kind of strange because the logs show that  a request
was sent but the only problem was with the $_POST, You would expect
not being able to send the request if you don't encode the url and not
send a request with no parameters.

What was interesting too, the fact that getStatusCode() returned 0. I
checked the group and it seems that it has something to do with SOP
(correct me please if I am wrong). Would having the GWT application in
the same folder as the PHP project solve this issue?
Please, are there any other work arounds to the SOP issue?

Thanks again
Musab