I think it looks classy to display a note for IE6 users that says something
along the lines of "unfortunately our website no longer supports IE6, click
here to learn how to upgrade"

I think plenty of people have no idea what browser version they are using.
They may know the difference between IE and Firefox, but not what version
number it is. If a site doesn't work, they'll just say "must be because my
computer is old" and forget about it. So, tell them what they can do to fix
it...