Thomas,

Thanks for the reply - I could not see a problem with my config but
the debugger did not tell me exactly what the problem was...

In the link you provided you state:

> This is actually the same as if you were using a JASPI custom authentication
> in any
> JASPI-supporting container (GlassFish v3, Geronimo, etc.)

I assumed you were indicating the login config for the deployment
container could be moved out of web.xml into say a glassfish specific
configuration file (like sun-web.xml), but I could not find anything
about Glassfish and JASPI (other than this is JSR-196, and so yes
"there is a spec for that").

Could you point me in the direction for how to configure login-conf
outside of web.xml for Glassfish?

Also, once I had security in place it became evident that security in
the GWT world is much different from a regular web app because you
don't have the variety of paths available to put security constraints
on. I tried putting one on an RPC servlet, but this does produce a
redirect to the authentication page. The only path available to put a
security constraint on is the host page?