Thanks for this post, it gets a 5 star rating.

Follow-up question to it, though. What if the server code is
distributed? For example, I have a three server cluster running on
WebSphere. Will these "standard session techniques" work here, too?
I'm with Jorel on this, I'm not sure yet what that means.