Thanks, Sorry if its not clear, but I am actually talking about all of
those things.

PHP is my back end which is generating the static pages.
GWT is what my site is coded in. Its completely dynamic and makes
extensive use of "#" tokens to store and retrieve its states.

I'm attempting to get my side Ajax crawl-able using this guide;
http://code.google.com/web/ajaxcrawling/docs/getting-started.html

This guide states to replace the normal "#anything" style history
tokens with "#!anything" tokens instead. Note the additional "!"
When google's crawler is requesting these pages it swaps the "#!" for
"?_escapedfragment_=", allowing the server to generate a static page
using the query string.
This is all laid out in googles guide.

However, the formating of this "?_escapedfragment_="  does not allow
php to process the key/value pairs in the query string as it normally
could.
PHP can normally read of key value pairs from the query string using
its $_GET[] command.  However, under this system "?_escapedfragment_="
in the url requested prevents the first key value pair being read.
(as the parser now sees "_escapedfragment_" as its own key, and the
first true key as its *value*).

Thus, in order to use PHP with Google's system for making Ajax
crawlable, I was querying if GWT user's should add "&" to their new
history token format, rather then just "!". So the new tokens become
"#!&" rather then just "#!".
----
This is a little confusing, but I think it should be understandable
for anyone who knows both PHP as well as GWT. (or at least, has used
extensive historytokens/states in their web design).

Finally, I mentioned the Webmaster tools "Fetch as Googlebot" as thats
what I'm using to test if my site is indeed browse-able by google's
bot. Its not yet possible to use it to test completely for this sort
of functionality, however. So some of this work is a little "blind".