Hi kathrin,

thanks for the pointers! You were absolutely right, it is related to
SOP. I tried it on IE and there I get a human readable message ("The
URL ... is invalid or violates the same-origin sercurity restriction).
It seems that someone - probably by mistake - set the wrong url in a
config file so it's trying to connect to a foreign server directly
instead of going through the proxy servlet. After fixing this it works
again.

thanks again,
Dennis