Greg, you understand correctly.  IE attempts to load the
older.cache.html that was recorded as the src of the iframe when the
page was bookmarked instead of the src as it exists currently on the
requested page resulting in incompatibility exceptions with the newer
version on the server.  The older.cache.html still resides in IE cache
as it was sent with a cache header equivalent of forever.

Sony