I use saxon from Michael Kay  (www.saxonica.com) for programmatic XML
validation. It's very good, but it does not proivided much more
detailed error messages.

You mention that you need this during development time. Do you want to
validate XML files that you
construct by hand before using them in your application? In that case,
I would suggest to invest in a XML editor that provides
validation. These generally provide much more detailed error messages,
including the line numbers where the error occurs.
 I use XML Studio from Progress, but there are others out there
(Altova XML Spy, probably also some open source or  Eclipse plug ins).
The investment in the license has been paid back multiple times in
saved effort.