Hi Lorenzo,

I have to confess I didn't try the local App engine test mode yet; but
the GWT-only test mode (the project is a GWT project but no app engine
project) can use most of classes on the server side. Concerning
tomcat, you can call catalina.bat/.sh jpda start to start debug mode,
but you have to set env variables first. You can find details on that
at
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/BOOT/Setting+Up+Tomcat+For+Remote+Debugging

Hope this helps - best Regards
    Sebastian Rothbucher