A lot of databases provide encryption so that you can prevent sys
admins from seeing the data without being authenticated to the DB
itself.  Oracle provides it natively, where MySql is a combination of
3rd party software.  If you are really paranoid MySql provides AES
encrypt/decrypt functions.

http://www.hotscripts.com/forums/database/54910-encrypting-mysql-database.html

Like Danny said, no point in reinventing the wheel, just use SSL.
Right now SSL is still justified by the simple fact that it would take
more expensive hardware to break the encryption than any data would be
worth that they may extract in most cases.  For authentication, I
would highly recommend using container managed security though with a
JDBC realm.  Most give you the option for choosing the hash type for
the password.