I just joined the group and quickly scanned the archives, but didn't
see an answer to my question.

I'm very pleased with GWT and was hoping to have a look at the speed
traces feature in 2.1 M2, but noticed that it seems to require a
commercial version of Tomcat from SpringSource.

Is there additional server support required for speed traces for open-
source or other Java servers? I'm not particulary keen to dive into
Spring, haven't looked at Roo at all, and it's unlikely that we would
be moving to SpringSource TC anytime soon.

Is the Spring XML framework needed for performance analysis or are
there other server-side features that this product provides?

In general I'm quite puzzled at this dependency in an open toolkit.

Thanks,
Steve