Alessandro,

5 months sounds very tight for what you describe. So sounds like you
need to take some short cuts.

If you like the Tohu spec (but not the implementation choice) could
you not use their data model for describing forms? That is probably
the
most time consuming and painful to undo mistakes bit.

Not sure I full understand the two open aspects you describe. Being an
old geek bore I'll have a go.
a) config for a form (probably bad interpretation).
If "lifting" Tohu's data model doesn't work (wrong or licence issues)
then I quite like your idea of starting with HTML. You can then use
HTML5 syntax to add what you need.
<form>
   <input type="text" name="foo" class="assertNotEmpty" />
   <input type="text" name="bar" data-hiddenIf="form.foo='blah'" />
</form>
b) transport this config to preview window
If it is just a String so easy to move about?

Strangely the XML API in GWT doesn't seem that great. Just DOM I
think. So if you do want your storage/transport format to be HTML5
then you would have
to parse to the DOM then probably traverse this tree to build the GWT
Widgets and wire up the event handlers.
So you would hit an element called "input" and type="text" and
instantiate the correct Widget to add to your container.

Hmmm. Not sure I'm helping much. So many ways to do this I don't know
you spec (e.g. do you have to support lists of check boxes or select,
how you persist the form output?)  I'd still stick
to suggesting you lift something that already exists (HTML5,
JavaScript expressions) and that you probably need some short cuts
given the time you have.

Cheers

Sam