My users want my app to be able to read data from a local file.  So
far as I can tell, the only way to do this is to have a FileUpload
Widget in a form, send the contents of the file to the server, and
then get the contents from the server (i.e. send the form with a
unique ID attached, then make an RPC call asking for the contents of
the file with that unique ID).

Is there another way to do this?  Does there exist sample code on how
to do this?

TIA,

Greg