You will need 3 things:

white-space: nowrap;
overflow: hidden;
max-width: 30px;

However, max-width is not fully supported in IE.  You can fix this in
a couple ways.

1) Use IE's CSS expression.
2) CssResource has some ways of getting values and acting on them, but
I believe this is only run once.
3) (Best Option) Whenever you add or remove a tab or the window is
resized recalculate whether the max-width is exceeded and set the
width to max-width, if not set it to auto.