I concur, seems like they're trying to overcomplicate it.  Unless it
requires either JSON or XML, but the OP did say the serialization
format didn't matter.  I would suggest GWT-RPC serialization as it is
probably the easiest to setup.  Then you just need to go to/from java
objects to xml on the server side for storage.