In general, the *LayoutPanels need one of the LayoutPanels as their
parents because of the absolute positioning CSS magic GWT is doing to
make the layouts work. You can switch to using one of the LayoutPanels
as a parent; set a height value for the StackLayoutPanel in your code
(which is obviously inflexible and doesn't change based on how many
things you have in your panel, so that generally doesn't work);
override the position: absolute on the element and make it position:
relative so that it will expand fluidly (which is a bit hacky for my
taste and might need to be touched with new versions of GWT); or you
can extend the StackLayoutPanel and override the display/create your
own widget. You might also be able to extend SimplePanel and add
whatever size handling is needed for StackLayoutPanel. I haven't
explored that avenue, but the best place to start would be to look at
the code for GWT's built-in LayoutPanels and see what they're doing.